Friday, March 14, 2014

Venn Diagrams, Probability and Roulette

This is one of my favorite days during the probability unit.  It isn't often I get to gamble with my students and say its educational.

I begin this day with a quick warm up involving placing cards in the right parts of the Venn diagram.  Then, I ask them a few questions about it, just as review of the notation.




The last one I stop myself and ask the students how to even say that and inevitably someone says not A or B, to which I have to make a point.

After everyone is okay with the basic of the Venn diagram I preface the next activity with "Don't tell you parents we're playing this but does anyone recognize this game?

Then I start taking bets.  I draw two student names at random, inform them what they could bet on and place their bets.  Before I spin we have to model the situation with a Venn diagram and talk about intersections, unions, and compliments.



Here is the graphic organizer

No comments: